Last night Apple released a number of new updates
iCloud for Windows 6.1 for Windows 7 and later
Safari for Yosemite 10.10.5, El Capitan 10.11.6 and Sierra 10.12.2
iTunes 12.5.4 for Windows 7 and later
Sierra update to 10.12.2
tvOS 10.1 for 4th Generation Apple TV
iOS 10. for iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, iPod touch 6th generation and later.
new update for OS X 10.12, Sierra, taking the operating system to 10.12.2
From a security perspective this update is very important, full details are available from https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207423.
The update makes the following changes.
• Improves setup and reliability of Auto Unlock
• Allows addition of a Chinese Trackpad Handwriting button to the Touch Bar Control Strip
• Adds support for taking screenshots of the Touch Bar using the Grab app or Cmd-Shift-6 shortcut
• Fixes an issue that caused the Touch Bar emoji picker to appear on the display
• Resolves graphics issues on MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
• Fixes an issue where System Integrity Protection was disabled on some MacBook Pro (October 2016) computers
• Improves setup and opt-out experience for iCloud Desktop and Documents
• Fixes an issue with the delivery of Optimized Storage alerts
• Improves audio quality when using Siri and FaceTime with Bluetooth headphones
• Improves the stability of Photos when creating and ordering books
• Fixes an issue where incoming Mail messages did not appear when using a Microsoft Exchange account
• Fixes an issue that prevented installation of Safari Extensions downloaded outside the Safari Extensions Gallery
• Adds support for new installations of Windows 8 and Windows 7 using Boot Camp on supported Macs
If you have not updated to Sierra wait until 10.12.2 has been around for a number of weeks.
If you are already running Sierra, unless one of the updates listed above resolves a problem for you, I suggest you wait for a few weeks, in case there are other issues created by the update.
I also suggest running the Combo update, available here https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1900?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_EN
If you ran the update through the App Store you will only run the incremental updates, unless you are only on 10.12
If you do run a update through the App Store make sure you run it again after the update as some times there can be further updates which will not appear until the first update is run
Security updates are available for users of Yosemite (10.10) and El Capitan (10.11) and I suggest you run them.
Update for iOS
the new TV app (at this stage just the US). Over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
• Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
• Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
• Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
• Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
• Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
• Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
• Additional support for RAW digital cameras
• Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
• Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
• Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
• Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
• Stories you’ve saved for later now appear the new Saved section
• The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
• It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
• Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
• Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
• Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
• Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
• Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
• Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
• Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
• Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
• Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
• Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
• Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
• Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
• Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
• Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
• Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
• Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, visit: https://support.apple.com/HT201222
includes the previously-announced single sign on (I am unsure it this is available outside the US). The feature lets people enter their cable, satellite, or streaming TV credentials once, and have them automatically entered into third-party apps that require subscription account information.
Also included with tvOS 10.1, is Apple’s new “TV” app, which is only available in the US. The app is designed with discovery in mind, making it easier for users to find content across providers, including the user's own library of media.
Results from Siri searches now allow users to jump straight into live streams, as long as the supporting apps are installed.
Apple has not as of yet provided a change list for the system software update.
Apple Watch update 3.1.1
with improvements and bug fixes including:
• Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
• Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
• Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
• Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
• Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
• Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
• Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222